As Professional Pet Sitters Week approaches, we thought it was time to take a step back and acknowledge the hard work that goes into being professional pet sitters. It is arguably one of the most rewarding careers. After all, we get to ensure the best care possible for worried pet owners that are entrusting us with their pets’ safety. But, it’s also very challenging, time-consuming, messy, overwhelming, and chaotic! Of course, we wouldn’t have it any other way. 🙂
If you’re ever on social media or listening to the news, there’s a new trend revolving around self-care and self-appreciation, and that’s just what we’re going to do today! We are going to appreciate ourselves as professional pet care providers and acknowledge all of the amazing hard work that we put in every single day for our communities!
At the same time, we hope that you will be able to gain a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes of professional dog walking and pet sitting businesses. This is not to make you feel bad – it’s simply to show you the systems, time, and education we put into providing the quality care that you and your pet deserves.
P.S.: Because you deserve to know what goes into it!
- Systems & Processes
As busy pet owners, the last thing you want to do is spend your time going back and forth with someone endlessly to find days when they can walk your dog or sit for your cat. If you get new vaccine record information or a new medication for your pet, it can be an inconvenience to try to get on the phone with your sitter to make sure they know the updates. The list goes on and on here, but that’s why Poop’d Out implemented a booking software, called Time to Pet, directly into the website for fast and easy access!
Through Time To Pet, you can easily update your information as well as your pets, request a new reservation, and receive updates while you’re away. It’s as easy as that.
Poop’d Out is also licensed, bonded, and insured for your protection.
- Education & Training
Sure, there are dog walkers and pet sitters out there that do the job as a side-gig or as a hobby. But, as professional pet sitters, we take continued training and education very seriously.
As the owner of Poop’d Out, Dacey has completed endless amounts of training and certifications (seen below) in order to ensure the integrity of her business and the love she has for all of her furry clients.
- Dog*tec Dog Walking Academy – this academy is the most respected and comprehensive education program available to professional dog walkers. The curriculum included modules on canine learning theory, basic training, aggression, body language, walk management, leash handling, transportation manners and safety, emergency planning, and ethical business practices.
- Fear-Free Pets – This certification demonstrates the commitment to stress-free handling practices for all animals.
- Canine First Aid Certified through Dogsafe – This certification program is Canada’s premier first aid program.
- Holly & Hugo certifications in Animal Training & Pet Sitting, Animal Care, Dog Behaviour & Training, Pet Nutrition, and Animal Physical Therapy.
- Diamonds in the Ruff seminar attendances on topics such as reactivity, multiple species training, and building strong recalls.
This involvement in the continued practice of learning on behalf of all of her furry clients shows the commitment to being a trusted professional pet care provider.
As a professional pet sitter, it’s more than just a hobby. There are endless reasons why hiring a professional pet sitter is safer for your pet. Take a look at our other blog post on the 7 reasons you need a professional dog walker or pet sitter.
We know animal behaviour, which means we can take care of pets that aren’t “perfect.” In fact, Poop’d Out specializes in dogs who are “leash reactive” or shy on walks. Leash reactive dogs are dogs who do not react well when seeing fellow doggies out on leashed walks. Dacey has dedicated much time and education to build the skills necessary to help these dogs walk safely and calmly, so that they are still able to benefit from regular exercise.
This comes with patience when you’re working with pets of all different backgrounds, personalities, breeds, health issues, and more. But, that’s what we love and that’s who we are here to support!
This leads us to love, one of the most important components of a trusted professional pet sitter. It’s not just about, “Hey we love pets! Pick us!” We’re in the business of loving pets enough to make sure they are happy, safe, secure, healthy, and feeling loved. We do this in many ways:
- On-Leash Neighbourhood Dog Walks: These dog walks allow your dog to explore, sniff all the scents, and burn some of that daytime energy!
- Nature Hike Group Dog Walks: For those dogs that need to burn LOTS of energy, we also have hour-long off-leash adventures in the Edson area! The goal here = a VERY poop’d out dog when you get home from your long day at work (no pun intended 😉).
- Puppy Potty & Play Visits: Puppies always need a little extra love and attention, especially while you’re at work. We’re here every step of the way to ensure your puppy gets the care he needs.
- Daytime potty breaks: For those older and calmer dogs, we’ve got your back, too! We can pop-in for potty breaks, refill that water, and give a little love. Just what he needs before his afternoon nap.
- Pet Sitting Services: When you head out of town, you’ll need a professional there to ensure the safety, well-being, and happiness of your furry loved ones.
As you can see, professional pet sitters are able to tailor their services to the specific needs of the pets in their care. That’s what it’s all about.
In combining ALL of the above awesomeness that comes from professional pet sitters like us, we’re demonstrating our dedication to the job.
At Poop’d Out, we are out there every single day, rain, snow, or shine, making sure that the pets come first! The extra touch that we provide is all that matters. We will do whatever possible to ensure the well-being of your pet. Simple as that.
If you have ANY questions on if we’re the right fit for your pet care needs, don’t hesitate to reach out. Comment below or contact us directly by going here. In the meantime, we’re going to be celebrating Professional Pet Sitters Week by doing what we do best: pet sitting!